Tuesday 7 April 2015

A Trip to Cavenheath Heath for Stone Curlews

25th March 2015

A quick trip to Cavenham Heath to try and see some Stone Curlews. I have been before to see the autumn build-up but this was my first visit during the spring so didn't know quite what to expect. I soon found a pair tucked up close to some vegetation to keep out of the wind but that was all and they were just about as far away as possible, so no chance of any photography. To make things worse, despite the freezing wind, there was a heat-haze!!!

I then walked further along the path in the hope of hearing some Wood Larks but to no avail, and eventually found myself at the northern end of the track next to the River Lark. Not entirely unexpected there was a pair of Grey Wagtails by the running water over the weir which provided a couple of shots as they fed just downstream.












So as I had finished earlier than expected I thought I would pay a visit to Santon Downham. It is now 26 years since I have visited this site when I went to see the last pair of Red-backed Shrikes breeding  in England. This pair had bred here in 1988 but when I went in 1989 the male was on his own and the female never materialised.

I set off down one of the more open tracks in the hope of finding some Wood Larks but everything was quiet. It was only on the way back that I came across a single Goldcrest to save the day and provide some opportunities. This is probably the first decent photo that I have ever taken of a Goldcrest so, perhaps not the target species of the day, was still very welcome.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.