Saturday 19 July 2014

Wagtails on the Layer Breton Causeway

5th July 2014

It is that time of year when everything is so quiet, but could take off at any time. So today's plan was to visit Abberton Reservoir to see if there were any early autumn migrants whether they be waders or passerines on the banks of the Layer Breton causeway. The compulsory Lapwing was present and strutting his stuff at the water's edge, occasionally stooping down to pick up a morsel.


I had hoped that there would be a few pipits or wagtails present as when the water levels are high, as they are at the present time, they can be quite photogenic. No pipits sadly but I didn't have to wait too long for an adult and young Pied Wagtail to appear running around feeding at the water's edge.




But then the moment I had been waiting for, the call of a Yellow Wagtail flying overhead. I eventually tracked it down and started to take some photos. Then another appeared, and another, but what I found intriguing was that they were all bright adults whereas I am normally photographing juveniles. It was only when they started collecting food that the penny dropped. I was here a lot earlier in the year than usual and instead of the usual migrants these were breeding adults collecting food for their young in the surrounding fields.






At that point one of the birds left the water's edge and flew into the vegetation half way up the bank. This was an opportunity too good to miss. I edged closer and to my astonishment the bird flew out of the grass and landed on top of the vegetation. This is what I call cooperative photography!!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.