Friday 20 April 2012

Redstart at Tyttenhanger

I was at home trying to decide where to go for the afternoon when an email came through from Steve Blake saying that a male Redstart had been found by the fishing lake at Tyttenhanger. So my decision suddenly became much easier. When I arrived Steve and Ricky Flesher were still there and, after a short time, we were able to relocate the bird in the willows by the water's edge, although it remained well hidden at all times.

Steve and Ricky left and I was joined by the recently returned globe-trotting Dave Booth. We did manage to see it a couple of times, but it was either well-fed or tired, as it was staying deep in cover at all times. I therefore turned my attention to the fishing lake which, due to the lack of rain, had large beaches and a number of small islands which were attracting pairs of Green Sandpipers, Redshanks and Oystercatchers.

However, at that point there was a considerable amount of commotion on one of the islands where a pair of Little Ringed Plovers had flown in and were chasing each other round. Unfortunately the bank where I wanted to stand to get the light behind me was lined with Sallows, but I did eventually find the smallest of holes possible through the branches to get a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.